Monday, March 18, 2013

St. Patrick's Day

Top o' the mornin'!  Hope everyone had a great St. Patrick's Day!  
We hung low yesterday, but it was a great day!

Of course, we ate plenty of St. Paddy's themed food..... 

Lucky Charms & Green Milk - Since my daughter only drinks milk if it's chocolate, I thought I would give this a whirl.  Verdict: She took 1 sip of milk and ate only the marshmallows out of the cereal. :)

Green Eggs & Cheese - Make your normal batch of scrambled eggs (we use eggs, milk & cottage cheese) & add food coloring while it's cooking - I only used 1 drop to get my green color.  
Would have looked much prettier topped with mozzarella cheese! :)
 

Shamrock Pretzels - top pretzels with Hershey kisses and bake at 200 degrees for 7 minutes. Right after you take them out, top with 3 green m&ms (I bought a big bag of m&ms and found enough green m&ms to make 30 pretzels). Make a stem with green icing (good thing I had a tube left from Christmas cookies!)

Lucky Charms Cupcakes - Make a Funfetti cupcake mix according to the box, pipe white frosting (I just used a store bought container - shhh!!) and top with Lucky Charms!  Note: do not top with Lucky Charms until right before you are wanting to eat them!  I did mine the day before and the cereal and marshmallows were soggy by the next day - still tasted good though!
 Shamrock Sandwich - We made grilled cheese & turkey sandwiches and just used a cookie 
cutter to make them shamrocks.  Serve with some green grapes and you have a cute St. Paddy's lunch.... without green food coloring!

I quickly realized that if I didn't come up with a themed activity, all we were going to do all day 
was wear green t-shirts and gain 10 pounds, so we decided to go on a GREEN HUNT!  
We grabbed a green bucket and headed to Avery's playroom where 
we would collect anything green we could find! 

Let's see what we found!

 We didn't do too bad!  It's a good activity for a 2-5 year old because it takes no set up time and it's free!  Avery is just starting to learn her colors (and really only calls out thinks that are pink!) so she needed a little help, but I will definitely do this again next year!


I decided weeks ago that I was going to try my first ever Shamrock Shake this St. Paddy's Day.  Everyone talks about them like they are crack and so I just had to have one.  We went to the drive through at McDonald's and instead of the typical "Welcome to McDonald's, would you like that super sized?" we heard "Sorry, we are OUT of Shamrock Shakes!" OUT?! It's St. Patrick's Day - Shamrock Shakes are probably the only reason anyone is coming to your disgusting restaurant! To say I was mad was an understatement!  Avery was in the back with a huge grin saying 'ice cream ice cream' so after a pout fest, we ended up with chocolate and vanilla shakes.  Pout fest continues.  My wonderful husband could sense my annoyance, so he decided not to give up - and with 3 already purchased shakes in hand, we headed right to another McDonald's and sure enough, they had a Shamrock Shake just for me! 

There she is in all of her glory!



Cheers to a perfect day!

No comments:

Post a Comment