Monday, April 1, 2013

Happy Birthday Daddy!

Last Wednesday we celebrated our favorite guy in the world's birthday - my husband Nick!  The big 2-8 ... what an old man! :)  It just so happened that Nick's brother Graham and his wife Rachel were in town from England last week, so we got to spend Nick's birthday with them!  Dinner at our favorite restaurant, JMK Nippon and then trivia night at a local restaurant.  Graham and Rachel are trivia enthusiasts .... but I'm pretty sure we got last place, so you can only guess how much Nick & I contributed! :)

So besides JMK & trivia & presents, a birthday isn't a birthday without a cake!  And since Nick is seriously itching for his first round for the year, I decided to whip up a GOLF CAKE!  I found my inspiration on Pinterest (where else?!) and followed THIS tutorial.

Overall, it turned out pretty cute.  I used store bought frosting (like I would ever seriously make my own!!) so my "grass" didn't really stand up, but I was OK with it.  I also added a bunch of dark green sprinkles just to give it a little extra oomph and topped it off with a "Hole #28" flag (made in 30 seconds with scrap paper and a straw) inside of "Happy Birthday" because it was golf themed after all!
 UPDATE: Avery LOVED the cake ... until 5:30am the next morning when it decided to come back up ... all over her bed, her walls, her carpet, her dolls, e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e.  Let's just say, it looks the same going in as it does coming out.  Needless to say I will NOT be making this cake again, nor will I ever touch/look at green frosting again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment